Search This Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Miscellaneous "Out Of Africa"


There are a number of Lodges in the Kalahari.
One of them, the Grassland Safaris Lodge,
advertises its presence by telling you that you will reach
the Reception in 7 km. ( that's where you register.)
Your room, you will find in another 53 km.

We were heading for "Deception Pan".
I had asked Ant what the word "deception" means in this connection.
He said: "You'll find out when we get there"
After 149 km we arrived at this small "lake."
The "water" shimmered and glistened in the sunshine. 
When we got closer it turned out, much to my dismay, 
to be a slight depression in which the dry earth shimmered 
so that you'd swear that you had come upon a small lake.
Then I understood the name "Deception Pan".


At the warden's hut, there was a wash room.
When I visited it, I found it was already occupied by an Owl
which fluttered against the high positioned window
in a desperate effort to regain its element.
With two towels Ant managed to trap this bird
and gave it its freedom.


There she flies!
************

Since I shall be leaving for Africa in another 41 days
I am starting to think and plan and to reminisce.

****************

No comments: