Search This Blog

Monday, April 24, 2017

Strange creatures

Several years ago, accompanied by 5 friends, we canoed down the Zambezi river.
When it got to be late afternoon, we decided to pitch our camp on a sandy island.
The first thing I  noticed where the heavy tracks of an Elephant in the sand.
This very fresh evidence of the recent presence of such a big animal, whose territory we were obviously invading, did not fill me with a great sense of security.
The nonchalance of my friends, however, did not allow me to show my concern.
So we pitched our camp and hoped for a quiet night.






my "tent" for this night and many nights thereafter.
(well, it keeps the flies away)


The next morning, the Ele looked at us 
with suspicion from the opposite shore. 




The "Hammerkop" is about the size of a duck.
Brown feathered and non discript.
Since he does not have much else to do,
he yearly builds the biggest nest of any bird in Africa.


Every year a new one.
If it isn't big enough he will not get the bride.

No comments: