Search This Blog

Sunday, February 11, 2018

What is Faith?

Not that tired subject again!

A long ranging discussion lead us exactly nowhere, since there are many different interpretations of this concept.
I share the interpretation of the British Philosopher, Bertrand Russell, who, along with many other thinkers maintained that 
“we may define “faith” as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. Where there is evidence, no one speaks of “faith”. We do not speak of “faith” that two and two make four, or that the Earth is round. We only speak of “faith” when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence.”
Others described “faith” as a process of active non-thinking, of the acceptance of ideas not only in the absence of evidence, but in fact sometimes in spite of existing evidence to the contrary.
In the Roman Catholic Faith, for instance, it is necessary to believe that during the celebration of a Holy Mass, the waiver of bread actually changes into the body of Jesus Christ, while the sip of Red Wine within the chalice changes into the actual blood of the “Son of God”. 
Now, this requires a good portion of “Faith.”
In both, the Catholic, as well as in the Protestant version of Christianity, Faith is an absolute necessary ingredient of getting to heaven.
The big difference, as I understand it, is, that The Roman Catholic teaching requires Faith and Good Works, while the Protestants and in particular the “Born Again Christians” require Faith alone.
In both cases “Faith” is the number one requirement. Without Faith, there is no ticket to Heaven. There is only the slippery Road to Hell.

Billy Graham, surely one of the most important proponents of the “born again doctrine” said this in his book ”How to be born again”: While morality or Do-Goodness may win the approval of men, it is not acceptable to God, nor does it reflect His full moral demands.

Now we come to a very tricky part: You or I can decide to do good works. I or you may make a decision to feed the hungry and clothe the naked to the extent of our ability and without hesitation we may go about doing exactly that. 
But we just don't believe that Jesus is the Son of God, in fact we are not even sure that there is an entity with all the powers of a God. We just lack that “Faith.”

How about Faith? Can you decide tomorrow to have Faith? Can I truly state that as of right now I will have the degree of Faith required to achieve heaven? I can do that no more than I can decide that tomorrow I will have green eyes, and as of right now I shall be 6' 6” !

Now I have to decide to believe ( have Faith ) in something for which there is not one shred of evidence, which, in fact, often is contrary to existing evidence.
The absurdities, contradictions, and downright inanities of the entire Bible are, for me, completely impossible to believe.

Do I believe in the existence of God? There is no evidence! Therefore I cannot be a Theist.
Do I believe in the non-existence of God? There is also no evidence! Therefore I cannot be an Atheist!


Bertstravels
is left with the little but honest corner of the Agnostic.



No comments: